Re: Application architecture advices needed

From: Dennis Ingram <dwi_200405_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Nov 2004 12:01:31 -0800

"Antoine D." <noname_at_nospam.net> wrote in message news:<6Fvmd.4976$ha.560_at_news.chello.at>...
> Hi,
>
> I am skilled in Unix but pretty new to Oracle. I have to build an Oracle
> database that can be queried with variable URLs. From some documentations I
> have already read, I believe I need Apache as a frontend with CGI scripts,
> Perl or whatever to get variable part from URL. Then, I can send a request
> to Oracle and get back some data to my script.
>
> But more over, from these data, I need to construct and send few HTTP
> requests (actually POSTs) to another server. I was thinking I could use the
> Perl LWP:UserAgent module for example.
>
> But, I am not sure at all about products and/or langages (except Oracle that
> is a requirement) is the best choice to build and develop my application
> server. Is there some software architect around that can give me advices ?
>
> (For information, all stuff (Oracle, Apache and scripts) must reside on an
> unique Solaris based server.)
>
> Regards
> Antoine

This would be quite easy using Apache & Perl, and you can use mod_perl rather than plain CGI scripts if performance is an issue (and you don't mind some additional configuration effort). From the sounds of it, your application is going to be gluing two other systems together in some way, and Perl is very good at that sort of thing. So if you have Perl skills, it would be a good choice. Other than that, I guess it depends on what skills others in your organisation have - if they know PL/SQL and not Perl, doesn't make sense to introduce something new...

Regards
Dennis Received on Sun Nov 21 2004 - 14:01:31 CST