Re: Password Sync Oracle/Unix within Oracle proc?

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:06:30 +0100

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:19:06 -0600, Mike Dodd <doddme_at_-remove-mindspring.com> wrote:

>We have an application which requires that the Unix and Oracle passwords
>match. The application (apparently) stores the password and uses it for
>Unix shell scripts and running scripts from the command prompt (all behind
>the scenes).

Sadly, there is no need for that, as Oracle has O/S authentication. In this case any user with an Oracle account 'externally identified' and the same name as their Unix account will get in without password. So the procedure the app enforces is crap.

Also, apparently it is too cumbersome for you to mention version and the rest of the answer is version dependent.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA