Re: partitions

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:58:48 +1100

DA Morgan wrote:

> Oradba Linux wrote:
>

>> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message

>>> You aren't. Rebuilding an unusable index is a lot of I/O and a lot of
>>> exclusive table locking. Naturally there was a need for a cheap
>>> alternative (relatively cheap, that is).
>>>
>>> But Daniel's question wasn't about why you would use UGI. It was why
>>> you'd design to use a global index on a partitioned table in the first
>>> place.
>>>
>>> And I think that question came about because Daniel has assumed you mean
>>> a global non-partitioned index. I'm sure he can see a use for global
>>> partitioned indexes (ie, indexes partitioned in a way that doesn't match
>>> the way the table itself is partitioned).
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> HJR
>>

>> My scenario is i have range partitioned on date column.. This can make
>> the
>> data purge easy.
>> But on the other hand most of my queries are driven against an another
>> column, so i preferred to use a global
>> index. This global index is non-partitioned. Will partitioning this index
>> help during UGI ?
>> I did not test that.
>

> Absolutely!

No it won't. Read the question again. Will partitioning a global index make 'update global indexes' any faster/easier/better than 'update global indexes' on a glob non-partitioned index? Answer: Absolutely NOT, because in either case the entire index must be subject to maintenance.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Nov 20 2004 - 01:58:48 CST