Re: ORA-12154 connecting to 9i on XP

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:29:53 +1100

news.west.cox.net wrote:
> In case someone is trying to get 9i working on XP home...

No, no-one probably is. And if they are, your post doesn't tell them *anything* about actually getting it to work. It tells them how to pretend not to notice that it doesn't work. It avoids the problem, not fixes it.

> Finally found time to do some troubleshooting myself instead of hoping for a
> free answer...

You got a free answer. It just wasn't the one you wanted. Your "troubleshooting" seems to have consisted of reading the bit where I said XP Home wasn't certified; of reading the bit where I told you to disable the XP firewall; and of not reading the bit where I told you to cut and paste your DOS session so we can see what you're actually doing. You call that not receiving an answer, and declare it instead to be "troubleshooting". Imaginitive use of the language, at any rate.

> Disabled all the security software

I don't believe you. Yesterday, you didn't have a clue how to do something like that. Now you magically do...

>and set the SID

The sid would have been set already. We have a registry for that sort of thing.

> and Oracle
> home

Likewise.

> is a DOS window and connected without giving the connect string. When
> i connect as sqlplus system/manager_at_sb9205 i still get the ORA-12154 (error
> copy/pasted)

I see no evidence of a copy and paste operation. Is that something else you are new to?

You do not get the 12154 error. Your tnsping results prove that.

You've made most of this up, haven't you?

I ask you to cut and paste from your DOS window session (in that "free answer" you say you never got) and you can't even do that. There is still no evidence that you are getting any error message at all, and what results you have managed to post clearly indicate that you don't get any.

>but with out the connect string i can get in.
>
> C:\ora_base\ora92\bin>sqlplus system/manager

Well, that's really useful, isn't it? A database to which no remote connections can be made. A learning environment where one of the key things to learn doesn't work.

Excellent work on your part: When in doubt, shut your eyes and hope the problem goes away.

> XP home being uncertified i may have to stick to the DOS window for a while
> until i have to time to troubleshoot,

It's actually quite amusing, thinking that somone using XP Home, and someone who is self-confessedly new to XP; someone who didn't know how to turn off the XP firewall; someone who says he cuts and pastes when he doesn't... that someone like that could think they have the capacity and ability to "troubleshoot" Oracle is one of the funniest things I've read all year.

Why am I not surprised? Someone who tells me on the basis of no actual knowledge what "seems reasonable and logical" now thinks themselves capable of "troubleshooting".

This problem doesn't need troubleshooting. It needs you to grow up, learn something, post accurate results, describe things precisely and stop pontificating on subjects you clearly no nothing about.

Plonk.
HJR Received on Fri Nov 19 2004 - 15:29:53 CST