Re: You can't please all of the people all of the time...

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 Nov 2004 06:57:00 -0800

"Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<1100795076.009312.61800_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...
> Joel Garry wrote:
> > But do you have to plan to release critical patches 3 days before US
> > income taxes are due to be filed?
> >
> > No stress there... :)
> You mean you haven't filed them already? :)

:)

In the US, those of us who own businesses, as opposed to being employed as workers, have to pay quarterly estimated taxes and file an estimation form with
them. Then, when the year is done, we have to file all the paperwork to justify the taxes (if one earns more than a trivial amount). There are laws about when other businesses must send required information that we will need to file. In practical terms, it means we have to wait until the end of February to be able to have all of the required information to complete the filing. Since most people don't really like to deal with the issues, most procrastinate and wait till the last minute to actually mail the stuff to the gummint. Some post offices are open until midnight on April 15th, with a maudlin festive atmosphere.

It is a bit odd that people who are due refunds (that usually is, wage earners have given a free loan to the gummint) wait to file until the last minute. Although not so odd since the gummint sends the refunds when they feel like it. Most businesses are more picky about how they handle their cash flow, and work to minimize the amount sent as much as possible - and there are penalties if you underestimate.

But now we have (drum roll...) efiling. I can't help but wonder if Oracle is used for that on the receiving end (there used to be a law about government agencies being required to use Oracle, but I don't think that is in force anymore). In the past, only certain tax preparation businesses could efile on behalf of filers, which meant no April 15 peak load, but now
http://www.turbotax.com/ts/products/what_is_efile.html might change that.

But I wouldn't know about that, since I use an enrolled agent (super-duper tax preparer).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Stupid Windows automatic update, upsets my 3-year-old when he's using

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.