Re: Experience with foreign keys across schemas?

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:49:46 GMT

In article <re1qp0hbc4vads0k1b4p2qr5c5cqfbq29g_at_4ax.com>, 100.17706_at_germanynet.de wrote:
>Today, I was asked to setup a new schema with tables which will
>contain foreign key references to tables in another schema.
>
>I don't like that. I am sure that's wrong, but am missing arguments.
>OK, things like "delete from table <tralala> cascade" or "drop user
><john> cascade" tend to be dangerous. What else?

I don't know how "wrong" that is... I think it depends upon the schemas and tables involved. Not sure what you're worried about with the cascades... dropping a user won't cascade across schemas (except to remove the foreign key constraint, not the data), and cascading deletes won't happen unless you set it up that way when creating the constraint, which is far more questionable than merely having a constraint across schemas IMHO. Received on Fri Nov 19 2004 - 08:49:46 CST