Re: partitions

From: Oradba Linux <techiey2k3_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:22:36 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:419d0dae$0$2681$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Oradba Linux wrote:
> > DA Morgan wrote:

> >> Why global indexes? It pretty much defeats the entire point of using
> >> partitions? And is the cause of the issue you face.
> >>
> >> BTW: If you have current statistics ... why not query the data
> >> dictionary?
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > We are on an OLTP system where data in fast growing tables need to be
> > purged on frequent basis. We opted to do partitioning . Tests indicate
> > the drop partition with UGI is slow but does not cause a downtime. I
> > assume lot of shops wanted to do this way and could be reason for Oracle
> > to come up with UGI. I may be wrong.

> You aren't. Rebuilding an unusable index is a lot of I/O and a lot of
> exclusive table locking. Naturally there was a need for a cheap
> alternative (relatively cheap, that is).
>

> But Daniel's question wasn't about why you would use UGI. It was why
> you'd design to use a global index on a partitioned table in the first
> place.
>

> And I think that question came about because Daniel has assumed you mean
> a global non-partitioned index. I'm sure he can see a use for global
> partitioned indexes (ie, indexes partitioned in a way that doesn't match
> the way the table itself is partitioned).
>

> Regards
> HJR
My scenario is i have range partitioned on date column.. This can make the data purge easy.
But on the other hand most of my queries are driven against an another column, so i preferred to use a global
index. This global index is non-partitioned. Will partitioning this index help during UGI ?
I did not test that. Received on Thu Nov 18 2004 - 19:22:36 CST