Re: DDL

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:01:44 +1100

DA Morgan wrote:
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>> Rahul Jain wrote:
>>
>>> Why is DDL required to be the last statement in a transaction?
>>

>> Because there is an implicit commit before and after each and every
>> DDL statement.
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR

> You are absolutely correct Howard ... but I fail to see what your answer
> has to do with the question. But then its late and I'm tired.

Well, I'm no developer, but I was always taught that a transaction starts with some piece of DML and ends when you say 'commit' (or rollback, of course).

Insert money into new bank account;
Delete money from old account;
Commit both changes;

If DDL implies a commit, surely that therefore must count as the termination of a transaction? And therefore by definition, the DDL statement becomes the last statement in a transaction.

Insert money into new bank account;
Delete money from old account;
Drop table EMP;

...which achieves exactly the same thing as before.

Since both you and Richard appear to agree that a piece of DDL is not necessarily the last statement in a transaction, I guess I must be missing something. Enlightenment from either would therefore be appreciated.

Rgrds
HJR Received on Thu Nov 18 2004 - 04:01:44 CST