Re: Finding offending thread in MS Windows server

From: Pawel Rybicki <rybicki_at_nospam.nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:41:47 GMT

> > We have Oracle DB 9.2.0.4 on Windows 2000 Server. Sometimes we see
> > ORACLE.EXE taking up 100% of CPU time to time, practically bringing
> > our server down to halt. Problem is, unlike UNIX, all Oracle
> > processes in Windows run as a single ORACLE.EXE process, so we are
> > having trouble finding out which database session is taking up CPU.
> > Is there some way to identify offending session in Windows?
> > Unfortunately, dynamic performance view such as v$session_wait is not
> > helping too much.
> >
> > Since Oracle processes in Windows run as many threads spawned by a
> > single ORACLE.EXE process, we are wondering if there is a way to
> > pin-point exactly what thread is taking up CPU, and kill just that
> > specific thread. Please let us know if there is a way. Thank you in
> > advance.

There is quite handy tool in MS Server Resource Kit called Qslice. It shows activity of all processes, and when clicking particular process, activity of all threads in it. You can take suspected thread ID from there and then trace it down in v$process. v$session_wait etc.

Br, Pawel Received on Wed Nov 17 2004 - 07:41:47 CST