Re: multiple databases

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 16 Nov 2004 23:21:04 -0800

"Dave" <x_at_x.com> wrote in message news:<l9wmd.16409$up1.15673_at_text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
> "Yasaswi Pulavarti" <yasaswi_at_encfor.com> wrote in message
> > Hans:
> > Howard Rogers in the earlier post clarified all my questions. However
> > I did want to get back to you. What I mean by a database is a
> > "collection of tables" that span over multiple tablespaces. You are
> > right about different vendors treating databases differently. In DB2
> > for example you can have one Instance and have many databases in that
> > one instance.
> > However I guess in Oracle, Instance and Database mean the same or in
> > other words one instance can have only one database.
> > Thanks,
> > Yasaswi
>
> no an instance and a database are not the same thing (think RAC)
>
> Your database is a schema in oracle

SQL> connect / as sysdba
connected.
SQL> startup nomount

you now have an instance, not necessarily a database. (think CREATE DATABASE)

<power button pushed>

you now have no instance, most likely still have a database (on disk).

If its RAC, you have to push more than one power button - unless you have access to the panel - in which case, just throw the main.

-bdbafh Received on Wed Nov 17 2004 - 01:21:04 CST