Re: What's up with OTN logon verification?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 16 Nov 2004 16:38:29 -0800

Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<alvjp0la3ibiunu6ttvnujgmfb15ar3lpt_at_4ax.com>...
> On 15 Nov 2004 16:58:13 -0800, joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote:
>
> >Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<o5ehp0db42u46ntbsthupejnha05197uu8_at_4ax.com>...
> >> This seems to be a recurring problem for me, and I'm curious if anyone
> >> else is expriencing it. If I go to tahiti to look up an error msg or
> >> check a manual, it works fine until I click on the link to actually
> >> open the content of what I'm looking for. Some days it works just
> >> fine, others it asks me to log on, then rejects my userid/passwd. At
> >> this point, I can go thru the 'password reminder' routine to have my
> >> userid and password emailed to me. When I receive that (and they are
> >> exactly what I thought they were) I can cut'n'paste them into the
> >> logon fields -- and they are still rejected. There seems to be no
> >> rhyme or reason to this. Other areas of OTN seem to think I'm still
> >> logged on -- the screens always say "Welcome, Ed". And trying to
> >> find some means of reporting a problem with OTN itself seems to be a
> >> fool's errand.
> >
> >I speculate they are using the AS web cacheing, with various timeouts
> >in various places. I haven't seen the rejection of correct passwords
> >recently. I've wondered how they resolve SSO when the otn and
> >metalink passwords differ and things are redirecting back and forth
> >(ie, circulating from metalink to otn to tahiti to otn to tahiti for a
> >different version to otn). It seems to know that it is going to need
> >to ask for a password from the "this page has both secure and insecure
> >items" splash, but it doesn't actually ask unless I am pointed towards
> >something where my login has timed out. That splash can be annoying
> >when not necessary. Metalink seems to be more aggressive about
> >logging you out as soon as you are gone.
> >
> >Have you tried deleting all cookies?
> >
> >http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jsp?forum=29 the ones with
> >multiple responses show that someone is watching.
> >
> >jg
>
> Joel,
>
> "the ones with multiple responses show that someone is watching."
>
> Interesting Just scanning the list of subjects for November, I
> counted a total of 16 different message threads indicating people
> having problems with their accounts. Ten of those showed zero
> reponses, and some of the six that did have responses really didn't --
> the response was actually from the OP asking if anyone was listening.

:-O

> I also saw that some with legit responses, the response was along the
> lines of "it should work now", which seems to indicate that whoever is
> listening can do something on their end, but they aren't saying what.

Would you want to admit it to the world if you found something stupid?  :-)

> And now all of the OTN pages say "Welcome, guest" -- yesterday they
> said "Welcome, Ed" Of course, if I can't log on, I can't report the
> problem that I can't log on ......

I notice I am now a guest, too, whereas I wasn't yesterday. Looking at the faq:

"How can I tell if I am logged-in?
If you are logged-in, the top left corner of the forums displays a welcome message with your username. If you are not logged-in, a login page appears."

Funny, it is on the upper right.

"I have a question that is not answered here. Is there a "customer service" email address?
No. Please post your question in the Member Feedback Discussion Forum, which is monitored frequently."

That is just so stupid.

Oh wait, when I'm looking at the contact page it says "welcome joel." Looks like I'm logged out on forums.oracle.com but logged in on www.oracle.com. So I log out on www.oracle..., log in on forums... click on contact us to go to www.oracle.com, and am logged in... sign out and back up, logged in, click on contact, am logged out, go to various other O sites, logged out, log in to appsnet in a new window, go to forums, logged in, sign out, get a SSO signout window I've never seen before, with some broken links where check marks are supposed to be (with a subtitle of Appliction Name!) Hmmm... (copy/paste)

Single Sign-Off

Return
Appliction Name Logout Status

<1>1 Imeeting Conference
<1>1wc328.web328.oracle.com
<1>1webconfbeta2.web333.oracle.com
<1>FilesOnline
<1>Imeeting - rtcbeta
<1>LOG903.web218.oracle.com - New LoginOCS Server [OCS v1 r9.0.3]
<1>OCS903.web239.oracle.com - New Collabsuite Mid-Tier [OCSv1 r9.0.3]
<1>Oracle Portal (csportal) - New Collabsuite SSL [ OCSv1 r9.0.3]
<1>Oracle Portal (csportal) - New Collabsuite non-ssl [r.903]
<1>locdas2.oracle.com - New OIDDAS
<1>wc327.web327.oracle.com
<2>LOC-mod_osso
<2>Oracle Portal (ipportal)
<2>Oracle Portal (moc)
<2>Oracle Portal (omr)
<2>Oracle Portal (omr)
<2>Oracle Portal (wocprod)
<2>Oracle Portal (wsrp)
<2>OraclePartnerNetwork
<2>The SSO Server (orasso)
<2>iprojects-files.oracle.com
<2>iprojects-portal.oracle.com
<2>locdas.oracle.com - New OIDDAS

EMKTAPMID2.amts402.oracle.com
HTML_DB
Oracle Portal (portocs2) - Collabsuite REL 2 Production secure-wcrmdc3.web383.oracle.com
secure-wcrmdc4.web384.oracle.com

Gee, I thought 903 wasn't recommended!

But I'm still logged in in that other window... and when I click return from the SSO, I'm still logged in at otn. I guess that's a feature of AS, perhaps you have to close all windows so it doesn't lie to you.

> Deleting all my cookies didn't help.

Of course that was a wild stab to remove some possibility of stale cookies, the problem is likely state issues on the servers.

I think we all get frustrated when we can't get the information we would get if we were solving the problem. The one that got me today was where last week I submitted through a car dealer website an appointment for my car to be serviced. Put in detailed instructions, contact info, pressed "Submit," everything seemed hunky dory. Go there and they know nothing about it. Stooooooooopid! It's all I can do to keep from offering to "help."

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
No crime, just plain ol' fraud: