Re: multiple databases

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:28:56 GMT

Yasaswi Pulavarti wrote:

> In one SID or instance can I create three different databases? Or does
> the term "Single Instance Database" (SID) mean only one database per
> instance? Also other than using the dbca (Database Congifuration
> Assistant) GUI utility, and other than just running a script, is there
> a way to create databases? Is there a text based interactive utility
> to create databases in Oracle?
> Thanks,
> Yasaswi

Please explain what you mean by database.

Oracle has a specific definition. Other RDBMS vendors also have definitions but they are different from Oracle's (and each other's). The difference in definitions leads to a lot of confusion.

No matter what definition you use, Oracle does not have an interactive command line utility to prompt you through database creation. Ultimately all you have is a script, and DBCA simply creates and runs the 'script'.

Please exlpain what you are trying to accomplish (the business reason) so we can think of alternates that might help.

/Hans Received on Tue Nov 16 2004 - 07:28:56 CST