Re: ORA-00001: unique constraint violated

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:27:21 +1100

Michael wrote:
> Hi ... once again me ... sorry ... a unique index can be of course also
> just be an additional unique constraint which has to meant that it not
> necessarily has to be a primary key constraint .. but anyway you can
> disable and enable both ...
>
> Michael

I've no idea what you were actually meaning to write... so perhaps you could try and state it once, completely, unambiguously and clearly.

Bearing in mind that a unique constraint and a primary key constraint are two completely different things, and that neither require a unique index to work. And also bearing in mind that you can't disable either constraint if enforced with a unique index without that index also being dropped (and yes, it's dropped completely and utterly and not, as I saw you mention in another post, somehow retained as an index 'definition' without any actual content).

So bearing that all in mind, what was it you were actually trying to say?

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Nov 16 2004 - 03:27:21 CST