Re: FAQ - Etiquette - and how to get an answer

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 15 Nov 2004 15:34:43 -0800

yong321_at_yahoo.com (Yong Huang) wrote in message news:<b3cb12d6.0411150644.1acb3e30_at_posting.google.com>...
> "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<cn62qt$rh5$1_at_hercules.btinternet.com>...
> > e) If someone has got you out of a hole, it's quite
> > a nice touch to thank them (possibly by direct mail)
> > And if they haven't managed to help, it's quite useful
> > for everyone to explain what went wrong when you
> > tried their solution.
>
> Excuse me for posting a reply to THE FAQ message. I suggest we all use
> real emails either literally or mangled properly. By "mangled
> properly" I mean add NoSpam or RemoveThis to the email so a human can
> still figure out.
>
> Ten years ago mailing lists had an etiquette rule that you post a
> summary after you receive other people's answers. You individually
> thank everyone in the summary. That practice is gone. We're sometimes
> at a loss what's the best way to thank others. If you can continue to
> contribute to the thread, you can show gratitude publicly when you
> follow up. If not, you email the person privately a simple thank-you.
> But that won't work if the email address is invalid.
>
> Yong Huang

Unfortunately, google does not allow proper mangling. Newsgroup posting etiquette has always been slightly different than mailing list posting. Sometimes, it shouldn't be. But most email these days does not have proper etiquette anyways, since it is spam. The only solution IMHO is strong non-repudiability, but that won't come for a long time, probably after many people have been scammed.

Googling the web for my name used to bring up my homepage, but now it seems to bring up pages under that. I wonder why?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/16.21.html#subj6.1