Re: delete five BIG tables and insert new records on same tables

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:28:58 GMT

PC wrote:

> I need to delete five BIG tables and insert new records on same tables.
> Since it involved lot of computing, it will take long. I'm thinking it
> will take probably couple of days.
>
> What I want is minimal down time, if I have to have little down time.
> I have sql insert scripts to run.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks.
> -Jay

Here's a suggestion: provide more information. Version, platform, what exactly do the "insert scripts" do, etc.

Based on what you wrote, just truncate each of the five tables, and run your insert scripts. Since your database is up throughout, no downtime.

-Mark Bole Received on Mon Nov 15 2004 - 11:28:58 CST