Re: Oracle Backup for dummies?

From: Yukonkid <info_at_Boecker-OCP.com>
Date: 15 Nov 2004 06:55:28 -0800

bdbafh_at_gmail.com (Paul Drake) wrote in message news:<910046b4.0411130734.7f0dde0e_at_posting.google.com>...
> "tpcolson" <tpcolson_at_unity.ncsu.edu> wrote in message news:<cn30bb$ffc$1_at_uni00nw.unity.ncsu.edu>...
> > I've set up an Oracle 9i (9.0.2) database to serve as a spatial repository
> > for ArcSDE GIS data (www.esri.com). Now....I am by no means a db admin...or
> > a SQL programmer. This DB is for storage of GIS data related to a PhD
> > project...and in a university setting....users are their own IT shop. The
> > challenge is...I need to figure how to configure enterprise manager console
> > to do backup/recovery. SO far, I've configure the dataspace holding the
> > spatial data to be in "Archive Log Mode" and it runs fine...etc...I can even
> > do online or offline backups. The problem is...I've been testing to see if I
> > can do a recovery from the backups I've made...using the wizard in
> > enterprise manager console. The recovery never works, and the database never
> > starts up again, due to any number of what seems like a 100 errors. Now..one
> > would think, that if you click the "recover button", it would perform a
> > recovery, right? Is there anything I'm missing here? I really can't get into
> > all that SQL stuff for performing recoveries. I'm trying to set this up so
> > even the dumbest user (myself) can click a button or two and execute a
> > recovery after they delete two weeks of project data. Thanks for any advice.
>
> <old_timer>
> forget all about that java stuff and fire up a command prompt.
> </old_timer>
>
> seriously, if you are windows-inclined, cmd.exe, sqlplus.exe, rman.exe
> are all you need (although cygwin wouldn't hurt and the occassional
> lsnrctl.exe, orapwd.exe, oradim.exe, imp.exe, exp.exe and sqlldr.exe).
>
> if you're running on Linux, bash, sqlplus, and rman are all you need
> for backup/restore/recovery.
> I can think of no reason to be running the OEM GUI.
>
> start here: http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.homepage
> (as I believe that you meant Oracle 9i R2 9.2)
>
> hth.
>
> -bdbafh

Yes -
I would definitley prefer command line RMAN-utility. In a few commands you can Backup and Recover.

I would further suggest:

<old_timer>
Create another database for testing the recovery read the ORACLE documentation about Backup/Recovery and RMAN </old_timer>

Spent a few hours with it and skip that GUI... It's always better to know what's going on under the covers.

yk Received on Mon Nov 15 2004 - 08:55:28 CST