Re: Trying to understand RMAN's backup-sets

From: Vitalis <vitalopedrotti_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: 15 Nov 2004 04:00:22 -0800

José Arango <arango_at_caribe.net> wrote in message news:<TjSld.1021$Tu.93_at_fe39.usenetserver.com>...
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm learning about RMAN. I did a couple of backups on my test database. This
> database has over 300 data files (~14GB). The backup ends with 4 backup
> sets (each one having a backup piece). When I do "list backup" (this is
> 8.1.7 RMAN) I see the 4 backup sets:
>
> backup set 1
> ------- one backup piece
> -------------------the piece includes: like 80 datafiles...
>
> backup set 2
> -------- one backup piece
> -------------------the piece includes: like 80 datafiles..
>
> and so on...
>
> My problem is: I thought that a "backup set" was the term you use when you
> perform a backup and that when you perform a backup...that's just one
> "backup set" (with one or more backup pieces). Why am I getting 4 backup
> sets? Shouldn't I have 1 backup set with 4 backup pieces (and all datafiles
> within those 4 pieces)? If I do another backup tomorrow, that's Monday
> bakcup-set...etc... What is it that I'm missing?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Jose

Hi José,

Generally a backupset is not the result of the whole backup. A backup is a set of backupsets, and a backupset is a set of backuppieces.

If you only want one backupset to be created during a backup (assuming you use only one RMAN channel), you'll have to set the filesperset parameter to a value different from the default one (see the documentation).

Vitalis Received on Mon Nov 15 2004 - 06:00:22 CST