Re: Could someone teach security to Open World?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 15 Nov 2004 01:54:10 -0800

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0411111044.496674ce_at_posting.google.com>...
> > I think the whole registration process is not very well designed. For
> > example when you want to pay via a wire transfer, the generated wire
> > transfer order in "Bill to" section has my name (as the person) and
> > not my company's name even in the case it was specified. The
> > accountants here who were processing this order were not very happy
> > with it at all.
> > Also I do not know why the available hotels are changing each day and
> > even the ones that were sold out yesterday are now free. Which is
> > quite stupid because I have to sign to not very good three star hotel
> > far away while now there are available much better hotels near by. :-(
> > And there is no hotel confirmation before you will pay for
> > registration which means in the case of wire transfer another week
> > delay. That's a problem especially for me because I need to rebook the
> > hotel, because it looks like airlines are not in sync with OracleWorld
> > schedule. :-)
>
> Hey, Larry flies in on his own schedule, upsets the locals.
>
> I'll be staying with relatives and commuting from east bay <sigh>.
> Amazing how cheap you can be when it comes out of your own pocket.
> Hope this won't be the week BART floods under the bay from earth
> movements.

I have to somewhat step aside from my previous post. It is true that online services are not very good, but when I tried to use the supplied registration phone number, I got a clerk who was very helpful and handled everything as I needed. So in the case of troubles, phone contacts are a way to go.
My attendance is not going to trouble my pocket, which is very good, because it wouldn't be nice to pay 1625USD (standard price + gold pass + proceedings) of the registration fee from my own pocket, no matter how cheap could be the rest.
I was very pleased that at the one moment, there were some already sold out hotels available again (and sold out for the second time in less than day), so I was able to rebook from some probably a budget hotel (Serrano Hotel) to a better one (Westin St. Francis). I have never been in SF before, so I hope that this hotel will not be as annoying experience to stay in as the one from last year Paris Oracle OpenWorld (getting reservation less than week before the mayor conference starts is not a way how to secure a good hotel).

> I would have liked the scheduler to be able to show everything and
> then take away what I don't want to go to. I'd also have liked to be
> able to search on a list of presenters to select their presentations
> all at once.

You can do this. Use Conference Catalog and search for speaker's last name. However, you have to know his/her name before. There is no list to select for. But using this you can learn that Jonathan Lewis will present his "Oracle Database 10g SQL Optimization" on Wed 12/8/04 from 3:00 PM in the Room 304.

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.