Re: insufficient privileges when using SYSDBA

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:05:25 +0100

mark S wrote:
> Hi we're running Oracle 8 on unix AIX.
>
> When I try to connect to dba studio on my windows xp pro machine I
> have a problem.
>
> Connecting as sys with SYSOPER works, however when I select SYSDBA
> this produces the following error:
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>

> This is really confusing me as I've read SYSOPER and SYSOPER are both
> just privileges which by default should be granted to the sys account.
> Also I have checked and the sys account is assigned to the dba group
> on our unix box. I don't understand how one works but not the other.

Odd - SYS being an oracle internal security mechanism, and groups (dba, oinstall) being an external (Unix) security mechanism.
How is SYS connected to the Unix group dba?!?

Anyway - you ought to log on on aix, as a member of the dba group, set the environment, and be able to issue a 'connect / as sysdba' (without the quotes) without problems.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel