Re: Oracle Backup for dummies?

From: David Fitzjarrell <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 14 Nov 2004 13:56:53 -0800

nospam1978_at_yahoo.com (Tom Barnes) wrote in message news:<5af28966.0411130951.1206cfac_at_posting.google.com>...
> > "tpcolson" <tpcolson_at_unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:
> > > I've set up an Oracle 9i (9.0.2) database to serve as a spatial repository
> > > for ArcSDE GIS data (www.esri.com).
>
> fitzjarrell_at_cox.net (David Fitzjarrell) wrote:
> > Use MySQL. It's cheap, easy and can be run by the dumbest of users.
> > And, recovery is a snap since all you need do is restore a directory
> > tree.
>
> Sounds like a good idea except that ArcSDE doesn't run on MySQL.

From the original text the OP is working toward a Ph.D., which should indicate he/she has learned to perform proper research, and should be able to learn the tools the course of study necessitates. It is also apparent this poster has no such intention, nor inclination, to do so, while taking on the air of disgust toward his Oracle database. Oracle is not a toy, nor should it be treated as such. Hence, the suggestion to use MySQL.

The OP cannot be bothered to post any of the " what seems like a 100 errors." Yet, he/she presumes participants in this newsgroup have sufficient clairvoyance to divine the nature of these errors and supply adequate and relevant advice. Also, the OP is sufficiently disgusted with the inability of Oracle to opserate at the push of a button. Oracle, simply, does not operate in that manner, it never has, and it likely never will. All of the above add up to laziness, a trait not accepted well by those of us who have worked very hard to understand and use Oracle, and who take the time to assist others in their understanding of the product.

Therefore, I shouldn't care if ArcSDE works with MySQL or not; the OP cannot be bothered to actually LEARN Oracle, yet expects to use it without effort on his/her part. If a Ph.D. candidate cannot learn the tools required to earn his/her advanced degree, possibly their efforts should be directed elsewhere.

My two cents.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Sun Nov 14 2004 - 15:56:53 CST