Re: Oracle 9I RAC - Limit on databases

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 07:28:26 +1100

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1100455727.722463_at_yasure...
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>
>> DA Morgan wrote:
>>

>>>Purer than pure ... whiter than white ... brighter than bright. So how
>>>many databases can you put on a computer to take this back full circle.
>>>Or does your computer have a clutered file system on its internal drive?
>>

>> You could of course just acknowledge that saying "a node is an instance"
>> was
>> technically imprecise -and in a subject where that sort of confusion
>> causes
>> immensely more grief than it otherwise might do.
>>
>> HJR
>
> I thought I did. Next time I'll have someone from the languages
> department proof my posting.

No, you didn't. You did what you've just done here: try and be 'smart' and funny about it. For what reason, I can only speculate.

RAC is a technically difficult area. It requires precise definitions otherwise we might all as well pack up shop. It uses a specific language, involving words like 'cluster', 'node', 'interconnect','instance','database' and what have you that need to be used correctly. So maybe it is your language skills, but maybe it is just that you are sloppy about the way you discuss the topic. I'm not asking you to be a Byron or a Yeats. Poetry we can leave to others. Just be technically PRECISE, that's all.

> Note to all: Any time Howard and I disagree on anything ... if I do not
> explicitly state that Howard is wrong, which I don't think has happened
> in the last five years ... Howard is correct and I hereby acknowledge
> that as fact.

Please, Daniel. Drop the smartarse act. If you make a mistake, have the good grace to acknowledge it as such without dancing all round the subtleties and leaving it to the reader to work out whether you actually made a mistake or not, or (presumably) hopefully not noticing that you did. You don't need to invoke the Language Department, the Lord, the World At Large, or any other distracting audience of your choice: you can just say "oops" -at the time you actually make the mistake so we all know what it is you're acknowledging you slipped up about. A carte blanche acknowledgement of nothing in particular, made in advance, such as you write, here is just a rather devious ploy intended to mean that you don't have to acknowledge anything of substance at all.

I don't pick you up on the use of sloppy terminology because I like making you look stupid, or I like making myself look smart and clever. I strongly suspect my picking you up on it makes me look like a grouch with an attitude problem. But that's not actually why I do it, either, and in any case I tend not to care about what others speculate. I do it because I have class after class, full of RAC hopefuls, who practically need to have the correct terminology beaten into them. You could help by not putting sloppy terminology out there in the first place.

I pick you up on things for the same reason I pick Burleson up on things: your mistakes make my life harder.

HJR Received on Sun Nov 14 2004 - 14:28:26 CST