Re: question about statistics

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:10:21 -0000

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1100394206.441584_at_yasure...
> wagen wrote:
>
>> We gather statistics for the database objects (user created) using
>> DBMS_STATS (9i +), ANALYZE (8i +).
>>
>> Do ANY of the initialization parameters influence the way the
>> statistics are gathered? If YES, what are the init.ora parameters?
>>
>> NOTE: I am not referring to ESTIMATE/COMPUTE/SAMPLE...
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers.
>>
>> Wagen
>
> I believe the answer is ... gathered no ... utilized by the
> optimizer yes.

I expect that setting the PARALLEL_XXX parameters to enable query parallelism at different degrees and then setting the degree parameters to DBMS_STATS differently would result in a difference in statitics gathering. I haven't tested this though.

DBMS_STATS works pretty well in 8i as well BTW.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA