Re: Listener problem

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 00:33:26 GMT

"John Wood" <jwood_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:xWrld.97873$VA5.550_at_clgrps13...
> Hi there...
>
> I have installed an Oracle 9.2.0.2 Test Database in a window 2000
> professional workstation. I just set up the preloaded Oracle database
from
> the disk. I have run through the Net Configuration and confirmed the
> Service name is properly defined in TNSNames.ora.
>
> I can run sqlplus into the database from the same workstation, but I
cannot
> run sqlplus into it from another workstation. I received 'No Listener'
> error messages. I confirmed the Oracle database and TNSListener were
> running in the ControlPanel>Service.
>
> Please advise where else I have to check.
>
> Thanks.
>
> JW.

John, several others have made excellent suggestions to debug the problem. In my experience, being able to connect with sqlplus from the local system is a darned good test of the listener. The error that you are getting from the other system (the client), of no listener, suggests that it isn't even reaching the listener on the server. For it to be unable to reach the listener, there is very likely a problem with the tnsnames.ora on the client system (not the one on the server). It's finding the net service name (the alias) in tnsnames.ora, otherwise the message would indicate that is the problem, but there is something wrong resolving the hostname or possibly the port. Could also be a problem in the hosts file (or DNS), the tnsping that someone recommended would help show that. Received on Sat Nov 13 2004 - 18:33:26 CST