Re: Linux Flavour for Oracle 9i

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Nov 2004 11:45:03 -0800

mccmx_at_hotmail.com (Matt) wrote in message news:<cfee5bcf.0411120244.7b19587b_at_posting.google.com>...
> I am starting a Proof of Concept project to demonstrate benefits of
> migrating our Oracle databases from Windows to Linux. This is driven
> by potential performance improvements.
>
> I am trying to decide on a particular flavour of Linux.
>
> Since this is an Enterprise wide application, our choice will be
> limited to the Oracle supported platforms, i.e.:
>
> Redhat Enterprise AS (2.1, or 3)
> Redhat Enterprise ES (2.1, or 3)
> Suse Linux Enterprise Server
> United Linux 1
>
> Does anyone have any experience/info as to whether any one of the
> above is 'better' from a support, stability and performance
> perspective. These are my 3 major concerns.
>
> The HW will be IBM xSeries servers connected to a Hitachi S.A.N.
>
> There is also the possibility of trialing 64-bit flavours of
> Linux/Oracle on Itanium.
>
> My instinct is to go with Redhat because I have had more sys admin
> experience with this flavour.
>
> Any feedback welcome
>
> Matt

Matt,

attempt to obtain a 5 seat RHEL development license. It will cover you for WS, ES and AS.
This way your server and your laptop can run the same kernel, so you can reproduce your test cases more cleanly.

yes, its not as low of a cost as whitebox linux, but its very affordable.
You'll have an easier time with the suits justifying that you are testing on a supported, commercially available platform that can be shipped pre-installed from an OEM such as Dell, HP, IBM and alot of other Linux-friendly smaller manufacturers that attend expositions like LinuxWorldExpo.

hth.

-bdbafh Received on Sat Nov 13 2004 - 13:45:03 CST