Re: Linux Flavour for Oracle 9i

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 06:48:51 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> HansF wrote:
>

>> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>>
>>> HansF wrote:
>>>
>>> Won't disagree with anything you wrote except...

>>> It doesn't "mimic" RHAS3, it *is* RHAS3. Exact same source. Just RH
>>> proprietary logos removed. "Mimic" makes it sound like it's an
>>> emulation, or an approximation, rather than what it truly is: a clone.
>>>
>>> A minor quibble, I agree.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> HJR
>>
>> Counter-quibble .... even 'they' say it is _derived_ from RHAS3. From the
>> http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/
>>
>> "This product is derived from the Free/Open Source Software made
>> available by Red Hat, Inc but IS NOT produced, maintained or supported by
>> Red Hat. Specifically, this product is forked from the source code for
>> Red Hat's _Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3_ product under the terms and
>> conditions of it's EULA."
>>
>> The only reason for my 'mimic' statement is that WhiteBox is not
>> obligated
>> to (nor has the resources for) keeping up with RH's service packs.  In
>> addition, they are creating and providing their own patches which may not
>> be retrofit to RHAS.  Thus it is a true fork, not an exact duplicate.
>> Anyone who does not recognize that may find themselves in a bind down the
>> road, even though they are OK for now.
>>
>> WhiteBox is now in exactly the same position as Mandrake was several
>> years ago, when *that* was forked from RedHat.
>>
>> /Hans

> OK then: let's agree to use the technical term 'fork', though it's a word
> that has little meaning (in this context) outside the rareified atmosphere
> of Linux distros. At least within those circles its meaning is
> unambiguous, and is therefore correct.
>
> We could continue to discuss whether 'clone' or 'mimic' is a more accurate
> -closer- description for the general public of a distro fork, and I
> presume we would continue to disagree.
>
> The point for me is that White Box is built from the RHAS3 sources, and
> its patches are similarly built from Red Hat's own Errata srpms...
> meaning, incidentally, that they do NOT "create and provide their OWN
> patches which may not retrofit to RHAS", not at an rate in the sense of
> knocking up their own code.
>
> That is decidedly NOT what Mandrake does or did several years ago, it
> seems to me. White Box's goal (however they choose to dress it up) is to
> be a free RHAS3. Mandrake's was to be a better distro.
>
> If they took RHAS source to start with; and if they patch it in the future
> with RHAS source; and if they write no source of their own; then it seems
> to me it walks, swims and quacks and therefore is RHAS3, not something
> merely pretending to be it or seeking to approximate it (the usual
> implications of the word "mimic").
>
> Regards
> HJR
I will agree to the term fork. I was using the term mimic in the sense of 'acting the same, looking different' and they are certainly changing the logos to look different.

There are also a few minor things different - "How is WhiteBox Linux updated? ... Obviously RHN isn't available as an option, so yum has been brought in from Fedora along with a version of up2date that can work with yum"

There is also a concern about whether there is any software to which RedHat retains a copyright. It happened with SuSE's YAST, although I believe YAST has now been released under GPL. Once bitten ...

As to the statement about not creating their own patches ... from their site http://www.whiteboxlinux.org, I quote

"What can you do to help?

The last 4 words are of interest. My interpretation is that they will permit divergence of the software, albeit while trying to maintain their goal of being compatible with _RHEL3_ until October 2008. (We have both incorrectly stated RHAS - they aim for RHEL compatibility.)

Amusingly, they do also state the will maintain compatibility with a union of RH -AS, -ES, -WS, -PWS and so on. This implies some compromises, even if it aims to be 100% binary compatible with RHEL.

I will continue to use WhiteBox as the alternative to RH 'commercial' versions for development, test and training environments because I am comfortable that it is close enough. However, I will also continue urge potential users to use it with eyes wide open as there are no guarantees of compatibility (it's a goal, not a guarantee). There may also be timing issues in releases of errata srpms that could affect users in production.

I am sure you could (probably will) point out other flaws in my statements. The last word is yours. <g>

/Hans Received on Sat Nov 13 2004 - 00:48:51 CST