Re: Learning Oracle with a "normal" computer

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:34:34 GMT

Victor Hernandez wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> I am a guy from El Salvador (Central America) and I want to learn
> Oracle. My aim is learning only, I donīt want to put anything in
> production.
>
> I have a "normal" computer here in El Salvador. 256 Mb Ram memory, 2
> Gb virtual memory, Windows XP Pro. I have downloaded Oracle 10g from
> the Oracle website and it is so SLOW. Creating a table lasts half an
> hour and I get desperated.
>
> I know my machine is not great but I canīt afford another one. I have
> looked for a trial version of Oracle Personal Edition but it doesnīt
> exist at the Oracle website.
>
> So how can I learn Oracle with my humble machine?. (Spending half an
> hour to create a table is not an option).

  1. Add memory. For a 'normal' computer, adding another 256M should not be expensive. Oracle is extremely sensitive to the phyical memory and you should have at least 512M RAM otherwise you will get painfully slow interaction.
  2. Drop to Oracle9i ad install a minimum system.
  3. Do not load the Java capabiltiies.
  4. Get a second disk drive and load it with WhiteBox Linux. Then use it with command line only, and do not use X-Windows. That will significantly reduce your memory requirements (although it will make initial install difficult)

Also, please realize that Personal Edition is really nothing other than Enterprise Edition with a 1 user license. You downloaded, so you are using the 'developer' license, not the 'trial' license. Trial license allows you to purchase support (and get patches) for the 30 day trial whereas developer license does not.

/Hans Received on Fri Nov 12 2004 - 14:34:34 CST