Re: Learning Oracle with a "normal" computer

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:02:18 +0100

"Victor Hernandez" <milleniumc_at_yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:cfed2cda.0411120831.29a4f8d_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi everybody.
>
> I am a guy from El Salvador (Central America) and I want to learn
> Oracle. My aim is learning only, I don´t want to put anything in
> production.
>
> I have a "normal" computer here in El Salvador. 256 Mb Ram memory, 2
> Gb virtual memory, Windows XP Pro. I have downloaded Oracle 10g from
> the Oracle website and it is so SLOW. Creating a table lasts half an
> hour and I get desperated.
>
> I know my machine is not great but I can´t afford another one. I have
> looked for a trial version of Oracle Personal Edition but it doesn´t
> exist at the Oracle website.
>
> So how can I learn Oracle with my humble machine?. (Spending half an
> hour to create a table is not an option).
>
> Regards,
>
> Finsals Collons

I use 8.1.7 and 9.2 versions on my laptop a poor PII 360Mhz with 128Mb RAM (WinNT4). OK it is not 10g and it is always swapping but i can make all the tests i want and it does not take half an hour to create a table.
Check your SGA parameters to make them not too big (db_cache_size, *pool_size, pga_aggregate_target...)

--
Regards
Michel Cadot