Linux Flavour for Oracle 9i

From: Matt <mccmx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Nov 2004 02:44:50 -0800

I am starting a Proof of Concept project to demonstrate benefits of migrating our Oracle databases from Windows to Linux. This is driven by potential performance improvements.

I am trying to decide on a particular flavour of Linux.

Since this is an Enterprise wide application, our choice will be limited to the Oracle supported platforms, i.e.:

Redhat Enterprise AS (2.1, or 3)
Redhat Enterprise ES (2.1, or 3)
Suse Linux Enterprise Server
United Linux 1

Does anyone have any experience/info as to whether any one of the above is 'better' from a support, stability and performance perspective. These are my 3 major concerns.

The HW will be IBM xSeries servers connected to a Hitachi S.A.N.

There is also the possibility of trialing 64-bit flavours of Linux/Oracle on Itanium.

My instinct is to go with Redhat because I have had more sys admin experience with this flavour.

Any feedback welcome

Matt Received on Fri Nov 12 2004 - 04:44:50 CST