Re: Oracle logs -- give a hand to a MS SQL DBA ;-)

From: G M <zlmei_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Nov 2004 11:57:44 -0800

Oracle DB has a alert_log file in directory $ORACLE_ADMIN/your_Sid/bdump. This kind of info is defined in a parameter file called initSid.ora (Sid is your DB name). For example, my database's parameter file (called initYPD.ora) has something like this:

# define directories to store trace and alert files

background_dump_dest = /oracle/admin/YPD/bdump
core_dump_dest = /oracle/admin/YPD/cdump
user_dump_dest = /oracle/admin/YPD/udump

Hope this helps.

Guang