ORA-08177

From: Erik Hellman <erik.NOSPAM.hellman_at_NOSPAM.ericsson.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:50:16 +0000 (UTC)

I have a server generating a large amount of data that is to be inserted into and updated in Oracle database. The server is multi-threaded, so there may be several threads accessing the same table at once. To ensure that we won't end up in a deadlock or get corrupted data, we use SELECT .... FOR UPDATE NOWAIT and all our transaction are serialized.

My problem; sometimes I receive ORA-08177 (Can't serialize into...). Also, this occurs when there is only one thread accessing the table but I have a large amount of data in each transaction (>1000 records).

Searching on Metalink I'm advised to increase INITRANS for the tables and indices, but this doesn't solve the problem. Changing our code to make smaller transactions is not an option (really, this is _not_ an option).

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to solve this?

regards,
Erik Received on Thu Nov 11 2004 - 08:50:16 CST