Re: Comparison of Function-Based and regular indexes

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:02:50 +0800

Bruno wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone point me to a resource or share their experience on this subject?
>
> What is the difference in response time for SELECT, INSERT and UPDATE on a table with regular index on a varchar2 column (all values uppercase) and the same table with the same index but this time function-based, with UPPER function on the same column (with mixed case values).
>
> Will INSERT and UPDATE operations be slower with the function-based index? I would assume they should be, but am having hard time finding any resources. I am about to run some benchmarks on this, but am looking for a third-party opinion :-)
>

> Thanks!
>
> Bruno

Its predominantly related to the cost of the function. If its a low cost expression, then you'll hardly notice the difference. If its (say) a custom plsql function that does 1000 things within in, then you'll certainly notice it.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"