Re: Dropping a datafile from test db (ORA-01111)

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:13:02 -0500

I copied ALL of the datafiles for the tablespaces I need in the cloned db.

I can't use EXPort, or trsnaportable tables. I have 0 seconds to clone the db, at exactly 00:00 hours on the 1st of December, so what I want is to clone the db, then roll it forward until the "cut" time.

--
Syltrem

OpenVMS 7.3-1 + Oracle 8.1.7.4
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site, en français)
---zulu is not in my email address---
"Turkbear" <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com> a écrit dans le message de

> "Syltrem" <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I copied (part of) a database into another db for a test environment.
> >Fact is, I only copied certain datafiles/tablespaces, created a new
> >controlfile to build a new database from these copied datafiles, and
> >performed a point-in-time recovery.
> >
> >Of course the new database's alert log file contains messages like this
one:
> >Tablespace 'HRDATA_IFB' #19 found in data dictionary,
> >but not in the controlfile. Adding to controlfile.
> >
> >But that's ok.
> >Now that the db is open, I would like to get rid of those files, as I
don't
> >need them in the controlfile (or anywhere at all).
> >
> >SQL> drop tablespace HRDATA_IFB including contents;
> >drop tablespace HRDATA_IFB including contents
> >*
> >ERROR at line 1:
> >ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 2
> >ORA-01135: file 10 accessed for DML/query is offline
> >ORA-01111: name for data file 10 is unknown - rename to correct file
> >ORA-01110: data file 10: 'IVA$EXE_ALPHA:[ORACLE8174]MISSING00010.'
> >
> >Even after an
> >alter database datafile 'IVA$EXE_ALPHA:[ORACLE8174]MISSING00010.' offline
> >drop;
> >I still cannot drop the tablespace.
> >
> >What am I doing wrong, or can it be done at all ?
> >I need to create the new db with only a subset of the original db's
> >tablespaces.
> >
> >Thanks
>
> You did most things wrong, IMHO, or at least the hard way - think of data
not tablespaces...You do not want, or need, the
> tablespaces, just the data that the tables. etc using that tablespace
have..Unless you created them as transportable
> tablespaces, copying them is not a good idea ( and copying only a part of
the associated data files is even a worse idea).