Re: Need p3006854_9204_LINUX patch.. for linux testing

From: mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Nov 2004 10:03:51 -0800

pagesflames_at_usa.net (Dusan Bolek) wrote in message news:<1e8276d6.0411092324.7219389c_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have an ethical problem with a company that on the one side is
> saying you can download our software and play with it for free and on
> the other one didn't provide for free even the patch needed for
> installation of it. Personally, I do not have to care about it,
> because I always have some valid support contract around, but I
> understand the guys who are not so lucky.

Good post. Truth != Marketing. Obviously.

So, the original poster's question remains.

Is it ethical to share the file because Oracle's marketing says its free to download and install (implies all required files) an evaluation?

Is it not ethical to share a file from Metalink because the recepient does not have a paid license? BTW, the recepient admits they have no license, and simply wish to play with the product.

In my opinion:
<RANT>
Basically, this happens again and again. It seems to me that Oracle does not care to provide evaluations of products on enterprise versions of LINUX, except for paying customers, OTN be damned. There are many clear examples, throughout the Oracle product line. Why is that?
</RANT>

Regards,

Mike Received on Wed Nov 10 2004 - 12:03:51 CST