Re: update global indexes

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:59:39 +1100

Oradba Linux wrote:

> Looking for opinions about using this option .
> How much better is this than rebuilding indexes after a partition is
> dropped?
> Version 9iR2 .

That's like asking whether apples are better than oranges.

Update global indexes provides you with a way to keep a global index usable despite partition DDL, at the cost of DDL statements no longer being quick data dictionary operations. You have to evaluate whether that loss is worth the gain of permanently usable global indexes.

A rebuild takes exclusive locks. Update Global Indexes doesn't. Rebuilds could be used to compact or move an index. UGI can't. A rebuild can let you change PCTFREE or INITRANS. UGI can't.

For ordinary, every day use, UGI wins hands down I think. But for a thorough re-organisation, it doesn't even get close to a rebuild. It's a choice to make. You can't say A is better than B. They're just different.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Nov 10 2004 - 02:59:39 CST