Re: Oracle 8i rebuilding index caused change in used space of datafile(in which tables reside)

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:41:19 GMT

"Roop" <rupinder99_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5Gdkd.69694$QQ5.1375356_at_weber.videotron.net...
> Hello
> I have separate tablespaces for indexes and tables. I have rebuild
> the indexes and it has changed the used space of index1.dbf file but at
> the
> same time it has also changed the used space of datafile in which the
> tables
> data reside. I have checked in DBA studio that the percentage used for the
> datafile in which the tables reside has dropped from 90% to 70% used. Is
> it
> normal when we rebuild indexes that it cleans the unused space in the
> datafile in which the tables reside or what could be another reason behind
> this?

Hi Roop,

If all you are doing is purely and simply rebuilding indexes, then no, it won't be the cause of the reduction of space in your other table tablespace. There must be another reason ...

Perhaps not all indexes are in the index tablespace as you think ?

Cheers

Richard Received on Wed Nov 10 2004 - 02:41:19 CST