Re: Oracle 9I RAC - Limit on databases

From: Steve Montgomerie <stmontgo_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2004 19:35:32 -0800

tom12l_at_yahoo.com (Tom) wrote in message news:<1417c32c.0411091445.54dcfde_at_posting.google.com>...
> Another question about multiple databases on RAC.
>
> How do you handle the parameter file, it appears there can only be one?
>

> pagesflames_at_usa.net (Dusan Bolek) wrote in message news:<1e8276d6.0411082330.2dc7b305_at_posting.google.com>...
> > DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1099971284.569098_at_yasure>...

> > > RAC is about instances ... not databases.
> > >
> > > Ask yourself: How many instances can an end-user connect to at one time?
> > > Ask yourself: How many databases can an instance connect to at one time?
> >
> > If I understand Tom correctly, ha asked how many two instance RAC
> > databases could be placed on the single two node cluster. The response
> > is: as many as you want (there is some limit but much higher than the
> > limit of a sensible setup). We're running two databases in this
> > configuration with no problem.

Each instance has it's own init file or you can place an init file common to both instances on the shared file system - in this way each database would have it's own init file.

A shared init file looks something like the following where my db name is hr

*.cluster_database = true
hr1.instance_number=1
hr2.instance_number=2

<instance one>. Received on Tue Nov 09 2004 - 21:35:32 CST