Re: Queries slow after Upgrade to Oracle 9i

From: Snewber <s_at_s.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:18:39 +1000

Go through and compare the init.ora files between both versions.

Try to make them as close as possible to each other until you are happy with the performance.

For example, use some 817 settings in the 9i version until the performance is the same. I remember having issues with pga_aggregate_target being set to high on 9i which made one of my queries run for a lot longer. I stopped using pga_aggregate_target in favour of the old 817 parameters, such as SORT_AREA_SIZE, until I understood more about pga_aggregate_target. I ended up adding it back in but at a lower value and my performance with 9i was then the same if not better.

So, once you have similar performance with the 9i version using older parameters, start replacing the older parameters with 9i parameters while checking performance.