Re: A voodoo masterpiece

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 9 Nov 2004 05:36:03 -0800

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1099970637.926910_at_yasure>...
> One solution is to use statistics and jobs to simulate the production
> environment. Nothing's perfect but I'll take a good case study over a
> gut instinct every time.

That's not easy, definitely not easy. Right now, we're encountering here quite nasty problem. Our branch databases (8.1.7) are freezing when central database (9.2.0.5) is down. We've got errors, traces, just everything, but neither we nor Oracle support are able to reproduce this. We're trying hard in the deployment environment, simulating load, using the same setup, the same kind of SQLs executed as distributed transactions, simply no way. However, our production environment can reproduce this easily (and that's bad). I have also a lot of experiences from many performance tests in the past and I learned that reproducing a production load could be tough in some cases. So I can imagine a real world behaviour that could be almost impossible to proof using any sensible testcase and still be perfectly valid. However, without a solid scientific evidence is hard to make (and defend) any claims. And I also believe (maybe I'm wrong) that most of claims unbacked by evidence made even by world known experts should be blamed on their laziness and not on a substantial impossibility to proof.

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.