Re: oracle 9204

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 9 Nov 2004 03:22:50 -0800

Oradba Linux wrote:
> Our DB is primarily used as an OLTP. We are planning to implement
> partitioning on some of the tables.We have to decide on the
partitioning
> key.

Why are you considering partitioning? Whatever the answer to that is, it should give you a hint of what to use as the partitioning key.

>Can partitioning key be the sequence which is the primary key for
> the non-partitioned table?

Yes, but:

> Are there any pros/cons with this approach?

There may be. If all you are trying to do is reduce I/O contention, then it might be better to approach the problem first via hardware. Easier. Do not try to "spread I/O" with partitioning: it makes not much sense.

> Have you been able to avoid global indexes in an OLTP DB ?

Yes, very much so. Don't even recall the last time I used a global index... Received on Tue Nov 09 2004 - 05:22:50 CST