Re: Installing Oracle 10g on Linux -- OUCH!!

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 20:02:16 +1100

Ringo Langly wrote:

> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message

>> Matthias Wirtz wrote:
>>
>> > "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>> that
>> >
>> > Yes, did 9iR2 on Slackware 9 and RedHat 7 and 10g on RedHat too. Could
>> > be that some installation script expects things in different locations
>> > but nothing mission critical.

>> > do so.
>> >
>> > I don't get the point. If someone is familar with Slack why shoud he
>> > exchange it with something he doesn't know?
>> > --
>> > Matthias Wirtz - Norfolk, USA
>>
>> Because when are you ever going to install Oracle in a production
>> environment onto Slackware, or Gentoo, or Red Hat 9, or Mandrake?
>>
>> Learning something you are never actually going to use or do seems to me
>> to be ivory tower learning of the worst possible sort.
>>
>> Since Red Hat Enterprise Server is available free of charge (when it
>> becomes known as White Box Linux), and since anyone can run that
>> regardless of the operating system which they are already using without
>> having to lose or damage that operating system, courtesy of VMware, there
>> is precisely zero need ever to install anything else for proper learning
>> and training purposes.
>>
>> I have explained my reasoning on the matter, anyway, at
>> http://www.dizwell.com/html/virtual_oracle__linux_.html
>>
>> So, as an example, I am running Suse Pro 9.1 (a non-certified distro) on
>> my laptop, and yet have access to 9i and 10g installations when the need
>> arises, both of which are running on a properly-certified (RHAS3) O/S,
>> and with all their functionality guaranteed to work as advertised.
>> Anything I have to do to the O/S in those installation environments is
>> something I would likely have to do in a production environment. The
>> learning environment is thus appropriate, accurate and sufficient.
>>
>> You are, of course, free to disagree.
>> Regards
>> HJR
>
> Hi Howard,
>
> I had never heard of White Box Linux until I checked-out the dizwell
> website.  I'm definately planning on downloading and installing it
> using VirtualPC on my Mac -- and worst case I'll drop it on an actual
> i386 box I have here, though it's a dinosaur.
>
> I agree with your comments to a point... but I know several companies
> that do use Slackware and other distros other then the corporate
> versions for mainstream production servers.  With a well-educated
> network admin or Linux guy these distros work just as good as the
> Enterprise-level distros IMO.  But if I have the option to practice
> with Oracle on a certified distro, like Whitebox Linux, I'll
> definately use it.  I might however still try installing it on another
> distro.

That's fair enough. It's always a bit of fun. I just did a gentoo one the other night. But I won't ever document it. And as for people running it on Slackware... well, I doubt they've licensed it properly, and hence are doing it cheap (and probably illegally). Main point is, I think, there's no way they will get support from Oracle for it. So it's either not very critical, not very significant, or they just like living dangerously! I agree that no support from Oracle means your network/system/db administrator had better be "well-educated".

> Thanks for your comments and assistance... it's all greatly > appriciated.

No problems. Glad to have been of assistance.

Regards
HJR > Ringo Received on Tue Nov 09 2004 - 03:02:16 CST