Help with UPDATE

From: Enrique <aviles94_at_rcn.com>
Date: 8 Nov 2004 19:40:51 -0800

I have two tables like these:

Customer_Table

Name         Varchar2(20)
Address      Varchar2(20)
Telephone    Number
Price        Number

Final_Price Number

Discount_Table

Name         Varchar2(20)
Address      Varchar2(20)
Telephone    Number
Discount     Number

I want to update the Final_Price column in the Customer table by joining both tables by Name, Address and Telephone and multiplying Price with Discount.

I tried:

Update Customer_Table a
set a.final_price = a.price * (select b.discount from discount_table b where a.name = b.name and
a.address = b.address and
a.telephone = b.telephone)

This query was running for a long time and I killed it. I also suppose this query will update ALL rows in the Customer_Table with the same value since there is no WHERE clause in the Update.

How can I do this??!! Received on Mon Nov 08 2004 - 21:40:51 CST