Re: A voodoo masterpiece

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 19:03:19 +0000 (UTC)

Note in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated Sept 19th

"Holger Baer" <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de> wrote in message

> But Don and Mike finally put the cards on the desk: They can't be bothered
> with
> proofing anything they gibber out, the so called "real-world phenomenom"
> (and
> in their cases that means throw hardware at it and the problem will go
> away)
> must suffice.

No - read Mike's comment carefully. It is a little out of context, but he makes the perfectly valid statement that "proofs" undertaken on a PC can break down at high loads on 'real systems'. You only have to consider that PCs tend to be single-CPU systems to realise how true that can be. It's why I sometimes give away free consultancy time in exchange for temporary access to large-scale hardware.