Re: A voodoo masterpiece

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 18:23:10 +0000 (UTC)

Notes in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated Sept 19th

"Mladen Gogala" <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 19:54:49 +1100, Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

> Don Burleson
> also wrote a
> beautiful book about Statspack which is still relevant and very useful.
I picked the 9i copy of this a few days ago, and flipped through a few pages. The first thing that caught my eye was the list of the different optimizer modes, which didn't include first_rows_N. The other thing I noticed on the page facing was the example of three pieces of SQL that were supposed to return the same result. The first and third had different column sets, and the second would produce an Oracle error in the general case. I wasn't impressed.
> Don Burleson wrote numerous useful articles and maintains the very same
> DBA Zine that Jonathan Lewis writes in.
For the record, he doesn't maintain DBAZine, he only contributes to it. I believe that he also claims to be a senior technical editor for it, but if so, he clearly doesn't take the job seriously, as he clearly doesn't read the articles that it publishes, and has never offered any editorial advice on my contributions.