Re: Installing Oracle 10g on Linux -- OUCH!!

From: Ringo Langly <rlangly_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 Nov 2004 10:23:12 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<418da458$0$11547$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Matthias Wirtz wrote:
>
> > "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> >> And yes, everyone else will point out how you can install onto this or
> that
> >> distro...
> >
> > Yes, did 9iR2 on Slackware 9 and RedHat 7 and 10g on RedHat too. Could be
> > that some installation script expects things in different locations but
> > nothing mission critical.
> >
> >> though I strongly suggest that there is neither need nor occasion ever to
> > do so.
> >
> > I don't get the point. If someone is familar with Slack why shoud he
> > exchange it with something he doesn't know?
> > --
> > Matthias Wirtz - Norfolk, USA
>
> Because when are you ever going to install Oracle in a production
> environment onto Slackware, or Gentoo, or Red Hat 9, or Mandrake?
>
> Learning something you are never actually going to use or do seems to me to
> be ivory tower learning of the worst possible sort.
>
> Since Red Hat Enterprise Server is available free of charge (when it becomes
> known as White Box Linux), and since anyone can run that regardless of the
> operating system which they are already using without having to lose or
> damage that operating system, courtesy of VMware, there is precisely zero
> need ever to install anything else for proper learning and training
> purposes.
>
> I have explained my reasoning on the matter, anyway, at
> http://www.dizwell.com/html/virtual_oracle__linux_.html
>
> So, as an example, I am running Suse Pro 9.1 (a non-certified distro) on my
> laptop, and yet have access to 9i and 10g installations when the need
> arises, both of which are running on a properly-certified (RHAS3) O/S, and
> with all their functionality guaranteed to work as advertised. Anything I
> have to do to the O/S in those installation environments is something I
> would likely have to do in a production environment. The learning
> environment is thus appropriate, accurate and sufficient.
>
> You are, of course, free to disagree.
> Regards
> HJR
Hi Howard,

I had never heard of White Box Linux until I checked-out the dizwell website. I'm definately planning on downloading and installing it using VirtualPC on my Mac -- and worst case I'll drop it on an actual i386 box I have here, though it's a dinosaur.

I agree with your comments to a point... but I know several companies that do use Slackware and other distros other then the corporate versions for mainstream production servers. With a well-educated network admin or Linux guy these distros work just as good as the Enterprise-level distros IMO. But if I have the option to practice with Oracle on a certified distro, like Whitebox Linux, I'll definately use it. I might however still try installing it on another distro.

Thanks for your comments and assistance... it's all greatly appriciated.

Ringo Received on Mon Nov 08 2004 - 12:23:12 CST