Re: performance blob

From: Jan Bollen <jan.bollen_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 Nov 2004 02:38:37 -0800

alberto.dellera_at_gmail.com (Alberto Dell'Era) wrote in message news:<4ef2fbf5.0411070235.30c1fedc_at_posting.google.com>...

<snip>

> As far as performance is concerned, you may also try sqlloader, which
> is very likely more performant than custom Java code for loading BLOBs
> (you can load over the network with it). Or, if you can copy the .dat
> on the server, you can easily load it as a blob using
> dbms_lob.loadfromfile().

The max that I get using dbms_lob.loadfromfile() with this method is 5MB/s..

<snip>

> If you're going to process the data - you may also want to consider
> that's the case, consider using 10g, with includes support for fast
> IEEE 754 floating point operations (binary_float, binary_double
> datatypes) and analyzing your data using pure sql (very very fast) or
> perhaps a bit of pl/sql (that has been improved as well in 10g). Take
> a quick look here for an example of math operations:

That's no go, the files can not be converted because of safety reasons. The files are ECG-files that are used for testing algoriths for pacemakers, and one of the obligations is that de file keeps intact. Right now I'm calculating the MD5, en checking it after download.

> For a Thesis I would consider 10g for sure, even if i didn't need the
> IEEE 754 functionality (10g is a better 9i for common operations).
>
> I don't know about using matlab in oracle - but i feel like that
> extending intermedia is best left to an Oracle/matlab team :)

Ok, upgroading to 10g...
Maybe some tips on extending intermedia?

> hth
> Alberto Dell'Era

Tnx;)... Received on Mon Nov 08 2004 - 04:38:37 CST