Re: Enterprise slow, Standard fast?

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 10:09:20 GMT

"Mladen Gogala" <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:pan.2004.11.08.02.34.52.294541_at_sbcglobal.net...
> On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 20:38:32 +0200, Arska wrote:
>
>> Now we need to tune every job again, parallel execution in mind. Or deny
>> parallel execution for these jobs. (How?)
>
> No! You should just tune the buffer cache hit ratio. When it is close to
> 100%, your performance is good. Make sure that BCHR reports are compiled
> and run every morning. The job of a DBA is to maintain the highest cache
> hit ratio possible. DBAs are the priests of the buffer cache god. You
> shouldn't be tuning applications, but the instance. Users are not running
> applications, they're running instance, so that's what you tune. That
> means that all you have to do is to fiddle and twist the buffer cache
> parameters and everything will be good. Make sure that 99% of cache hit
> ratio is entered into the official company documentation as the ultimate
> performance metrics.

Hi Mladen,

You are completely wrong !!

Everyone knows that a cache ratio of *98%* is the most ideal, perfect ratio to aim for. A 99% hit ratio is too close to perfection and might give management the wrong idea. Any ratio less than 98% means you might have wasted too much time tuning the applications, achieving nothing but faster response times and giving management an even worse idea that all those historical graphs were to no avail.

Shame on you ...

Richard ;) Received on Mon Nov 08 2004 - 04:09:20 CST