Re: Oracle 10g vs. 9.2

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:49:06 +0800

Niclas Rothman wrote:

> Hi experts!
> I´m in a situation where I´m supposed to give a recomendation for what
> version our customrer should upgrade to. Today where on a Oracle
> 8.1.7.4 and the big question is if we should go for 9.2+ our 10g???
> My main argument have been that the XML support i more amature in 10g
> vs. 9+, is this true? What is it that you cannot do in 9 that you can
> do in 10 etc.....
>
> The customer have the opinon that we should not go for such a new
> version as 10g, the usual arguments as "we don´t want the initial bugs
> in our environment as we can expect from a new product" , is this a
> valid argument. Is the 10g stable?
>
> Could you guide me of some key pro & cons?
>
> Thanks for your help!!
> Niclas

I'd recommend 10g not for any particular reason such as "its so much better than v9" etc, but more the fact that Oracle are getting releases out so frequently nowwdays, its just a matter of time before either

  1. your support dates come up for expiry
  2. a user wants some feature that tey read about in a magazine which mandates v10

so I'm a fan of "jump as far as you can as rarely as you can".

Other than that, one of my pet favourites is that PL/SQL in v10 is massively better than v9

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"