Re: SOS - the day after migrating to Oracle 9.2

From: Alex <Nomail_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Nov 2004 00:12:18 -0600

>Putting aside the vmware issue...(all i will say is: "ugh!")

Thanks!
We are aware of the vmware issues, but that was actually the comment I was heading for!

>Looks like you're getting hurt on library cache...Now sorting that one
>out under VMware sounds like a very tough on to me. All that CPU stuff
>is now virtualised within VMware. For example, when you spin on a
>latch, are you *really* spinning - VMware might sleep you out.
>cursor_sharing = force suggests that you're doing a lot of parsing (and
>hence used c_s = force to reduce the damage). Either way, you're still
>likely to be: "Welcome to Parse-town: Population: You" :-)

Your are right, that was exactly the point and is where we got in the meantime and solved that issue.
The same application needs 2.5 times the shared pool size now on the 9 production system compared to the old one (and is running fine now).

c_s:
We are living in "parse-town" with this application ever since (okay, we didn't know when we bought the house)! It's a known issue with a third party specialized application coming from MS-SQL and a long (tuning) history.......

I've used session_cached_cursors on 8i already, but that crashed the user's session on a certain package that dynamically built a cursor - and Oracle didn't fix that one.

It has been fixed on 9i and is working now.

regards

Alex

PS:
I'll never mention the word *vmware* in this group.....