Re: Why getting message "Oracle Data Guard is not available in this edition of Oracle"

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Nov 2004 15:21:15 -0800

yong321_at_gmail.com (Yong Huang) wrote in message news:<a8d66634.0411050626.53e1773f_at_posting.google.com>...

> If it's only a message in alert.log, why does it matter?
>
> Yong Huang

I believe that all messages in the alert.log should be understood, else you cannot judge if it matters. Perhaps a misconfigured init parameter will make no difference. Perhaps it is indicative of other problems.

Yes, RMAN output logs drive me nuts, too :-)

I also consider it a significant risk if users become inured to messages they get. Ignoreable error messages are bad design (perhaps less so with explicit severe/error/warning modifiers).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Someone once told me a place I used to work had a ceremonial pyre when