Re: Learning Oracle for the First Time -- where to start???

From: Pedro Lopes <pedro.lopes_at_netvisao.pt>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:54:40 +0000

Hi Ringo,
See some answers inline...

Ringo Langly wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to start working with and learning Oracle at home for no
> other reason then to get more knowledgeable with the platform and
> become a bit more marketable in the future. I have some questions
> though:
>
> I noticed on the Oracle website I can download Oracle 10g. I'm
> assuming this is a demo or eval copy, but how long does it last? And
> how is it limited?
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/index.html

This is a full product. Not an evaluation. If you plan to use it for other things beside eval or study you must get a license.

> I have some books on Oracle 8i, but will these work if I'm using 10g?
> I'd rather not go out and buy all new books, but I will if needed.
> Also is 10g the latest version?

Most of the things will work... and yes 10g is the latest version

> My plan is to work with Oracle on Linux, but is Oracle on Linux and
> Windows different enough where I should learn both?
The installation will be different (and other things)... but if you plan just to try some SQL or PLSQL its the same.

> What books would you guys suggest? I have the following books
> already:
> Wrox: Oracle Expert one-on-one by Thomas Kyte
> Wiley: Oracle8i Admin and Management
> Oracle Press/Osborne: Oracle8i Backup and Recovery Handbook by Velpuri
> and Adkoli
> O'Reilly: Oracle PL/SQL Programming
> And the little O'Reilly Oracle PL/SQL book
>
> These are all on Oracle 8i... so should I stick with learning 8i now,
> or move to 10g -- which given this should I get new books for 10g or
> is it close enough to 8i to use the 8i books?
>
> Thanks for any insight or ideas. I want to learn all major aspects of
> Oracle, from querying data, writing SQL statements, ODBC, report
> writing, and management (backup/recover, fault taulerance, and
> clustering if possible).

Best value, IMHO, are for thomas kyte books.

 From Oracle you got
For SQL:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10759.pdf

you can also take a look at Oracle Concepts - http://www.oracle.com/pls/db10g/db10g.to_pdf?pathname=server.101%2Fb10743.pdf&remark=portal+%28Getting+Started%29

and in 10g you have a 2 Day DBA from oracle http://www.oracle.com/pls/db10g/db10g.to_pdf?pathname=server.101%2Fb10742.pdf&remark=portal+%28Getting+Started%29

for more manuals go to tahiti.oracle.com (you have to be registered in OTN - otn.oracle.com (free))

> Take care,
>
> Ringo

bye,
Pedro Received on Thu Nov 04 2004 - 18:54:40 CST